Thursday, August 20, 2009

Brother Lawrenec Dead at 91 - He will Be Missed and Remembered by all Johanians!







Cheer cheer and courage display
All ye Johannians join in the lay
Send a volley of cheer on high
Shake down the thunder from the sky
What though the odds be great or small
Dear ol' St John's will win over all
While her loyal sons are marching
Onward to Victory
St John's!!

Those are the lyrics of the St. John’s school song that brother Lawrence Spitzig wrote all those years ago which is still being sung until today. Brother Lawrence was a director twice at St John’s Institution, Kuala Lumpur, once from 1955 till 1961 and once from 1979 till 1983, a great contributor to education in Malaysia and a kind and generous human being who put all else before himself. He was conferred a Datukship by the King this year for his dedication and achievements to education in Malaysia over the last six decades. He died yesterday at Assunta Hospital, Petaling Jaya, aged 91.

Ask any Johanian who Brother Lawrence is and if they don’t know then they’re probably lying that they’re a Johanian. I come from a family of Johanians. I was a Johanian, my brother was a Johanian, my dad taught in St. John’s and my grand uncle was a former director of St. John’s. We all knew, loved and respected Brother Lawrence for who he was and what he achieved for the school.
I had the great opportunity to have met Brother Lawrence Spitzig when I was a student at St. John’s Institution and when he was still working at the school. In the later years during his retirement I still met up with Brother Lawrence through my grand uncle, also a Brother at St. John’s. I remember my grand uncle always telling me how Brother Lawrence always loved the cookies and chocolates we bought for the Brothers. Simple things like cookies and chocolates made their day. When I had the chance to personally speak with Brother Lawrence, he was always so excited to tell me about his work with the indigenous people of Sabah and Sarawak. I recall my amazement with his energy and enthusiasm to the cause while he was well into his late 80s. But then I think that’s what made Brother Lawrence tick, his love for helping others.



For those interested, there will be a funeral service for Brother Lawrence at SJI Cathedral tomorrow at 10.00am. Cheers Brother Lawrence, you will be missed and remembered by all Johanians forever! Fide Et Labore!

No comments:

Post a Comment